Map - Redonda

World >  North America >  Antigua and Barbuda >  Redonda >  Redonda

Redonda

Redonda is an uninhabited Caribbean island which is legally part of Antigua and Barbuda, in the Leeward Islands, West Indies. The island is about 1 mi long, 0.3 mi wide, and is 971 ft high at its highest point.

This small island lies between the islands of Nevis and Montserrat, 56.2 km southwest of Antigua. Redonda is closer to Montserrat than to any other island; it is located at 22.5 km northwest of Montserrat, and 32 km southeast of Nevis.

Redonda is home to vast numbers of sea birds, and the island was an important source of guano before artificial fertilisers started to be mass-produced. Guano-mining operations started in the 1860s and ceased after the start of World War I. During these mining operations a few buildings and other installations were put in place on the island, and some physical remnants of that phase in its history are still visible.

The island was named by Columbus in 1493. "Redonda" is the female form of the Spanish language adjective meaning "round".

The island of Redonda became part of Antigua and Barbuda in 1967.

At a distance, Redonda appears as if it were one very large rock. It is the remnant of an ancient extinct volcano. The land rises extremely steeply from sea level, mostly as sheer cliffs, especially on the leeward (west) side of the island. At the top of the island there is an area of grassland that slopes quite steeply to the east. There is no source of fresh water other than rain.

Judging by the name he gave the island, to Columbus the island appeared to be rounded, at least in profile. In reality the island is long and narrow, although it rises steeply to a height of almost 1,000 feet. The actual land area of the island is, however, hard to estimate because of the extreme steepness of the slopes, but it is calculated to be somewhere between 1.6 km2 and 2.6 km2.

Redonda is uninhabited. The steepness of the surface, the lack of a safe place to land a boat, and the lack of any freshwater source other than rainfall makes the island inhospitable to humans.

A herd of feral goats and thousands of rats were cleared from the island in 2017.

 

Map - Redonda

Latitude / Longitude : 16° 56' 16" N / 62° 20' 44" W | Time zone : UTC+-4 | Currency : XCD | Telephone : -267  

Map

Google-Map-Redonda
Google
Google Earth-Map-Redonda
Google Earth
Nokia-Map-Redonda
Nokia
OpenStreetMap-Map-Redonda
OpenStreetMap
Map-Redonda-Esri.WorldImagery
Esri.WorldImagery
Map-Redonda-Esri.WorldStreetMap
Esri.WorldStreetMap
Map-Redonda-OpenStreetMap.Mapnik
OpenStreetMap.Mapnik
Map-Redonda-OpenStreetMap.HOT
OpenStreetMap.HOT
Map-Redonda-OpenTopoMap
OpenTopoMap
Map-Redonda-CartoDB.Positron
CartoDB.Positron
Map-Redonda-CartoDB.Voyager
CartoDB.Voyager
Map-Redonda-OpenMapSurfer.Roads
OpenMapSurfer.Roads
Map-Redonda-Esri.WorldTopoMap
Esri.WorldTopoMap
Map-Redonda-Stamen.TonerLite
Stamen.TonerLite

Photograph

Redonda-Description-Antigua and Barbuda map
Description
Antigua and Barbuda map
Redonda-Description-Redonda west cliffs
Description
Redonda west cliffs
Redonda-Description-Sunny Redonda w hut
Description
Sunny Redonda w hut
Redonda-Description-Redonda west coast detail
Description
Redonda west coast detail
Redonda-Micronation-Redonda Day
Micronation
Redonda Day
Redonda
Redonda
Redonda
Redonda
Redonda
Redonda
1 

Country - Antigua and Barbuda

Flag of Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda is a country in the West Indies in the Americas, lying between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. It consists of two major islands, Antigua and Barbuda, and a number of smaller islands (including Great Bird, Green, Guiana, Long, Maiden and York Islands and further south, the island of Redonda). The permanent population numbers about 81,800 (at the 2011 Census) and the capital and largest port and city is St. John's on Antigua. Lying near each other (the main Barbuda airport is less than 0.5° of latitude, or 30 nautical miles, north of the main Antigua airport), Antigua and Barbuda are in the middle of the Leeward Islands, part of the Lesser Antilles, roughly at 17°N of the equator.

The island of Antigua was explored by Christopher Columbus in 1493 and named for the Church of Santa María La Antigua. Antigua was colonized by Britain in 1632; Barbuda island was first colonized in 1678. Antigua and Barbuda joined the West Indies Federation in 1958. With the breakup of the federation, it became one of the West Indies Associated States in 1967. Following by self-governing on its internal affairs, independence was granted from United Kingdom on 1 November 1981.
Currency / Language  
ISO Currency Symbol Significant figures
XCD East Caribbean dollar $ 2
ISO Language
EN English language
Map  
Map-Antigua and BarbudaAntigua_and_Barbuda_Regions_map.png
Antigua_and_Barbuda_...
1328x2500

Facebook

 mapnall@gmail.com