Bouvet Island (Norwegian: Bouvetøya, The first claim of landing, although disputed, was by Benjamin Morrell. In 1825, the island was claimed for the British Crown by George Norris, who named it Liverpool Island. He also reported Thompson Island as nearby, although this was later shown to be a phantom island. The first ''Norvegia'' expedition landed on the island in 1927 and claimed it for Norway. At this time the island was named Bouvetøya, or "Bouvet Island" in Norwegian. After a dispute with the United Kingdom, it was declared a Norwegian dependency in 1930. It became a nature reserve in 1971.