Trondheim Airport (Trondheim Airport, Værnes)
Trondheim Airport, VĂ¦rnes (Trondheim lufthavn, VĂ¦rnes; ) is an international airport serving Trondheim, a city and municipality in TrĂ¸ndelag county, Norway. The airport is located in VĂ¦rnes, a village in the municipality of StjĂ¸rdal in TrĂ¸ndelag county, 10 NM east of Trondheim. Operated by the state-owned Avinor, it shares facilities with VĂ¦rnes Air Station of the Royal Norwegian Air Force. In 2014, the airport had 4,416,681 passengers and 60,934 air movements, making it the fourth-busiest in the country. The airport has two terminals; A dates from 1994 and is used for domestic traffic, while B is the renovated former main terminal from 1982, and is used for international traffic. The airport features a main eastâ€“west 2999 m runway, a disused northwestâ€“southeast 1472 m runway, an integrated railway station and an airport hotel.
The main airlines at the airport are Scandinavian Airlines (SAS), Norwegian Air Shuttle and WiderĂ¸e, for all of which VĂ¦rnes is a focus city. The main route is the service to Oslo, operated by both SAS and Norwegian, which is the tenth-busiest route in Europe. Both airlines operate services also using Boeing 737 aircraft to Bergen, BodĂ¸ and TromsĂ¸; SAS has some additional domestic services while Norwegian has a number of low-frequency international services. WiderĂ¸e operates regional Dash 8 aircraft to six airports in Helgeland, in addition to Sandefjord. Krohn Air provides services to Molde. Daily international services to Copenhagen is provided by SAS and to Amsterdam is provided by KLM. The airport also serves charter services, mainly to the Mediterranean. In total, it connects to 17 domestic and 21 international destinations, as well as 18 charter destinations.
VĂ¦rnes was taken into use by the Royal Norwegian Army in 1887. The first flight was made in 1914, and aerodrome facilities were gradually installed. The first main installations, including three concrete runways, were built during World War II by Luftwaffe. After the war, the Air Force Pilot School moved to VĂ¦rnes, although in 1954 most of the other air force activities for Central Norway were moved to Ă˜rland Main Air Station. Civilian aviation started in 1951, when half a barracks was taken into use as a terminal, with the whole building being utilized from 1958. Jet aircraft started serving VĂ¦rnes from 1963, and the second terminal opened in 1965. The third (the current international Terminal B) was opened in 1982, and the fourth, Terminal A, was opened in 1994, along with the train station. From 1956 to 2004, Braathens was one of the largest airlines at the airport.