Rezina is a district in the east of Moldova, with the administrative center at Rezina. Rezina is situated on the western bank of the Nistru river. As of 1 January 2011, its population was 52,600.
The first human settlements on the territory of the district today appeared in the Neolithic era (7th-5th millennium BC). Near villages Solonceni, Echimăuţi and Stohnaia and found traces of the existence of territorial and cultural community of families of related tribes. Fertile soil, suitable for cattle breeding and agriculture, water and forests bank, which is a good shelter, were elements that favored flat settlements in these places. Dacians inhabited these territories 2nd millennium BC - 5th century AD. 1st century BC Dacian leader Burebista, unites dacian communities, forming a unitary Dacian state. This state called Dacia, included the present territory of Rezina district. In the 10th-12th centuries a monastery was built near Tipova. The monastery is carved from a giant limestone rock and includes 18 caves, connected by internal passages. It is one of the most important buildings (cave monastery) on the banks of the Nistru river. District towns, with the earliest historical attestation are Horodiste and Pecişte documented during 1437-1466. The first evidence of Rezina, a village landlord, we find a document of 5 February 1495 that prince of Stephan the Great, strengthens his Toader, Rezina village where he was Alexa Vataman, at the mouth of Rezina river purchased from his relatives, grandchildren of the great Negrea 70 Tatars zloty. In the 16th-18th centuries, further develop the region's economic, cultural and shows a marked increase in the population. In 1812 Treaty of Bucharest divides Basarabia from the Principality of Moldova, the first being ceded to Russia. In 1918 after the collapse of the Russian Empire, Basarabia decide union with the motherland Romania, during this period (1918–1944) district, is part of Orhei County. Basarabia is again busy this time of the USSR after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty. In 1991 as a result of the proclamation of Independence of Moldova, part of the Soroca County (1991–2003), and in 2003 became administrative unit of Moldova.