Kegworth is a large village (population of approximately 3,500) and civil parish in the North West Leicestershire district of Leicestershire, in the English East Midlands region. It forms part of the border with Nottinghamshire and is situated 6 miles north of Loughborough, 12 miles southwest of Nottingham, 12.5 miles southeast of Derby and 17 miles north of Leicester. The population at the 2011 census was measured at 3,601.
Lying on the River Soar, it is situated on the A6 near junction 24 of the M1 motorway and is also close to East Midlands Airport and East Midlands Parkway railway station. The village is served by a primary school which was rated good at its last ofsted inspection, which takes children from ages 4 to 10 years and has both Anglican and Baptist churches. Beyond the primary school age, most children attend schools in Castle Donington and Shepshed. Shops in the village include a supermarket, butcher, pharmacy, post office and optician. There are a number of cafes, restaurants and takeaway food outlets including Indian and Chinese cuisine. Kegworth has several public houses, a doctors surgery and a village hall that hosts village events and the local playgroup. Kegworth has thriving sports clubs which include the Kegworth Imperial football club, Kegworth Town Cricket Club and Kegworth Bowls Club. There are two parks with play areas for younger children and a skate park. The village has a library and a museum of local history. One Kegworth community group also organise many village events throughout the year such as the Easter Charter market, Sideley Park family fun day and food festival, and the Christmas market.
Nearby places include Long Eaton, Castle Donington, Sutton Bonington, Ratcliffe on Soar, Zouch, Kingston on Soar, Hathern and Loughborough. The post town is Derby, or Leicester. Kegworth is in North-West Leicestershire in the East Midlands
The site of Kegworth was situated well within the territory of the Coritani (or Corieltauvi), one of the most powerful Ancient British tribes. A date cannot be put on the foundations of the first settlement, although Anglo-Saxon burials have been found in Kingston-on-Soar and at Hathern, a pin from the 7th century was also found near the hermitage which may indicate the date and location of the earliest settlers. The name of Kegworth comes from two languages, Old English and Danish, so it must date from some time between 874 and 1086. It means 'worth' or 'enclosure' of a man named Kaggi, the Danish name for redbeard. However, some sources claim it may mean locked enclosure, from caega "key", an Old English word. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as being held by Earl Harold Godwin, who became the last of the Saxon kings. After Harold's defeat at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 the Earl Hugh of Chester was given the land by William the Conqueror. It was known in those days as Cachworde, Caggworth and Cogga.
After the royalists defeated Simon de Montfort in 1265, estates gained by the Earl of Gloucester included land in Kegworth. The privilege to hold a weekly market was granted in 1290. During the Middle Ages the parish was responsible for maintaining the condition of the roads. To try to improve the rough roads in the village, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1555 ordering every man in the parish to work for four (later six) days a year on the roads; each farmer had to provide horses and carts according to his land holding. This continued until the early 18th century when, with the increase in traffic, it became necessary to change this to paid labour.
Although farming was a large factor in Kegworth life and still remains on the fringes, industry started in the late 18th century/early 19th century with the introduction of stockingers shops. Some still exist (e.g. behind the former Britannia public house) and can be recognised by the long rows of windows on the first floor. As the industry grew, small courtyards of cottages were built in the old farm yards. Women and children also worked when they could, and the hosiery and lace trade were ranked as two of the most important industries in the village from 1841 onwards. The Kegworth hand frame stockingers were highly skilled in the art of making silk stockings and they received many orders from royalty and people of high rank. Queen Victoria, the Prince of Wales, the Danish Royal Family and the King of Spain were all customers of the stockingers of Kegworth. Meeting House Yard lay behind the present 'Friends' Cottage', and included a Quaker graveyard. The last trace of these 'yards' was demolished when the entrance to Australia Yard was removed to make way for the library in High Street.
A depression in the 1890s coincided with the introduction of the internal combustion engine, a motorbike factory was started which developed into the present Slack and Parrs. Domestic service was also important. In 1851 as many as 121 people were described as servants, housekeepers or charwomen. In 1899 their work was arduous with long hours, and the restricted personal freedom and the lack of privacy was poor by the standards of today but at the time they counted themselves lucky to be fed, clothed and housed. Industrialisation was the beginning of the end of this era in Kegworth’s history, but there were still socks and stockings being made in the village as late as the 1940s. Despite the growth in trade and manufacturing, there was only a very slight increase in population during the 19th century. The number of inhabitants rose from 1,416 people in 1801 to 2,078 a century later, but with actual decline in some decades, today there are approximately 3,500 people living in the village with 1,500 houses.
47 people died in a plane crash in 1989, just short of the airport's runway at the eastern side of the airport. Although this was outside the village, it has subsequently been referred to as the Kegworth air disaster. A memorial to those who died in the crash stands in the village cemetery.
Kegworth has always prospered from its advantages of trade and routes. Originally these were farming, road and river, later textiles, railway and canal, and now light industry, motorway and airport. It has been lucky in having relative prosperity and slow but steady growth which has given it the character of a friendly, active community. The nearby University of Nottingham Sutton Bonington Campus has grown markedly since 2006 and many students now live in the village. A number of modern housing developments to the south of the village expanded Kegworth in the 2010s and further developments are making use of brown field sites. Kegworth was part of the Rural District of Castle Donington until 1974 when it became part of the District of North West Leicestershire District Council, whose administrative centre is located at Coalville.